History: Locomotive #35
Locomotive #35 was constructed in 1928 in the Juniata PA shops of the Pennsylvania Railroad for service on its subsidiary, the Long Island Rail Road. After 27 years of faithful service, Loco #35 was formally retired in 1955.
This Class G5s locomotive employed the 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and was specifically designed to meet the demands of commuter passenger service. It was capable of rapidly accelerating large trains of passenger cars from the many stations encountered on each trip.
After 27 years of faithful service, Locomotive #35 was formally retired in 1955 as the railroad replaced its steam locomotives with more efficient diesel-electric locomotives.
The very last steam locomotive to operate on Long Island, Locomotive #35 was donated by the Long Island Rail Road to Nassau County, and was exhibited for many years in Salisbury (later Eisenhower) Park.
Today, Steam Locomotive #35 is maintained for Nassau County by the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum.