Station Restoration Campaign
History: Equipment Roster
“Heavy Metal Objects” — The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum has worked long and hard to obtain, restore, and preserve historical pieces of rolling stock that have played an important role in the development of not only Long Island, but the country as a whole. The OBRM Collection represents an enormous investment of “sweat equity” and financial resources.
You can assist in this endeavor by becoming a Member and by contributing to the Museum’s efforts to ensure that these rolling artifacts will be preserved and protected for future generations of rail and history enthusiasts.
|12||Caboose||N-52||American Car and Foundry||1927||1962|
|35||Locomotive||G-5s||Juniata Locomotive Shops||1928||1955|
|50||Caboose||N-22||International Railway Car Co.||1956||1992|
|0402||Locomotive Cab||FA-2||American Locomotive Company||1947||1963|
|738||Baggage / Mail||BM-60||American Car and Foundry||1928||1980’s|
|7433||COACH||P-54||American Car and Foundry||1923||1960’s|
|9234||MU Simulator||M-1||BUDD Company||1970's||2008|
|32006||Box Car||PS-1||Pullman Standard||1944||1980’s|
- 2 – Wood body Caboose, obtained from Shoreline Trolley Museum in Connecticut
- 35 – Steam Locomotive, displayed at Eisenhower (Salisbury) Park and Mitchel Field
- 397 / 398 – Diesel switching locomotives, utilized in Morris Park Shops
- 0402 – Wreck damaged diesel locomotive, restored as cab only by LIRR for 1964 World’s Fair
- 738 – (Renumbered 468) Last car to operate in regular mail service on LIRR on June 18, 1965
- 7433 – “Ping Pong” Coach, obtained from American Car and Foundry
- 9234 – M-1 Simulator, utilized for training locomotive engineers at Hillside Maintenance Facility
- 32006 – 40’ Box Car, owned and lettered for the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad
Class: G5s Locomotive Engine #35
Locomotive #35 was constructed in 1928 in the Juniata PA shops of the Pennsylvania Railroad for service on its subsidiary, the Long Island Rail Road.
This Class G5s locomotive employed the 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and was specifically designed to meet the demands of commuter passenger service. It was capable of rapidly accelerating large trains of passenger cars from the many stations encountered on each trip.
After 27 years of faithful service, Locomotive #35 was formally retired in 1955, as the railroad replaced its steam locomotives with more efficient diesel-electric locomotives.
The very last steam locomotive to operate on Long Island, Locomotive #35 was donated by the Long Island Rail Road to Nassau County, and was exhibited for many years in Salisbury (later Eisenhower) Park.
23 years later, the locomotive was removed from the Park. Today, Steam Locomotive #35 is maintained for Nassau County by the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum in historic Oyster Bay. Currently, the Locomotive is entering phase 1 of its restoration, for which it will be transported to Steam Operations Corp. of Birmingham, Alabama.
For the latest news on restoration at the Museum, particularly the rolling stock, be sure to visit the Railyard Blog!
Class: N52 Caboose #12
In the early 1920s, the LIRR ordered a fleet of wood bodied, steel-framed cabin cars to bring up the rear of its freight trains. Built by American Car & Foundry, these cars served well for many years. Most were not retired until the late 1950s. At that point, a few were sold to private individuals and moved off of Long Island.
One of these cars, #12 built in 1927 for a cost of $17,880, found its way to the Shore Line Trolley Museum in Connecticut, where it was used for sleeping quarters by their volunteers. With alternate sleeping accommodations later available in the area, the Trolley Museum had little need for a caboose in their collection, at which time they offered to sell the car to the Railroad Museum for return to Long Island, where its historic significance would be realized.
In 2002, after years of fundraising and hard work by our volunteers, #12 returned to Long Island.
Class: N22 Caboose #50
Caboose number 50 is an N22 class built by International Railway Car Co. in 1956. It is not your typical cabin car, because it has neither a cupola nor a bay window. In fact, it looks more like a short boxcar with end platforms and windows.
C-50 has been fully restored to its as-delivered paint scheme of orange and black.
The interior has been beautifully restored and painted, and a new oak floor has been installed and finished.
Class: FA-2 Cab Unit
The cab unit came from a former New Haven Railroad FA-2 diesel locomotive numbered 0402, built by the American Locomotive Company in 1947. In 1963, the New Haven traded in 0402 to Alco for the purchase of newer locomotives.
Alco cut off the head end of the locomotive and sold the cab unit to the LIRR for display at the ‘64 World’s Fair. The public was allowed to climb up into the cab and have their photos taken while looking out the engineer’s window.
After the fair closed, the LIRR sold the cab unit to the Tanglewood Day Camp in Lynbrook, NY, where the unit was part of a children’s playground. When the camp closed in 1988, the unit was made available to the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum.
Class: P54 “Ping Pong” Coach
To the average commuter on the LIRR during the middle of the twentieth century, there is probably nothing that symbolized their hours spent riding the rails more than the inside of a Ping Pong coach.
The P-54 class coach operated on the LIRR from 1923 to 1974. The nickname “Ping Pong” was given to them due to the rougher ride they provided, particularly when compared to the heavier wooden coaches they replaced.
This car, #7433, was rescued from the scrap yard thanks to the hard work of the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum leadership and the generosity of Island Rail, LLC, a corporate sponsor of the project. To the best of our knowledge, #7433 is the last of its kind to be preserved with original seating and equipment.
GS-1 Switchers #397 “Dashing Dan” and #398 “Dashing Dottie”
These were two of three four-wheeled, chain driven, 25 ton diesel locomotives that toiled away in the backshops of the Long Island Railroad from 1958 through the early 2000s. Used for shuttling locomotives and coaches to and from the shops, these engines served the railroad well, working in virtual anonymity. Preferred by the employees who used them, they were affectionately known as “Dinkys”.
Class: BM-60 Baggage Mail Car #738
Built in 1928 as Class BM-60 Baggage Mail Car by American Car and Foundry (ACF) as LIRR #738, it was later converted to Class B-60 Baggage Car (prior to April 1963). Modernized during the rebuilding program and renumbered #7738, it was car #468 in the re-modernization series (NOTE: #468 is NOT the car number). It was late renumbered as #W-74 as listed in the equipment tabulation for January 1, 1976 (NOTE: “W” denotes Work Equipment). The car made its last official “run” during the mid 1970s as part of trains #204 & #211 (for the Greenport /Main Line Round Trip).
*Information on this car courtesy of Grover White.
This car has the distinction of having been the very last car on the Long Island Rail Road to have served as a Railway Post Office or to have been used in mail service.
Class: P-72 Coaches #2935 & #2956
The Long Island Rail Road donated two of their recently retired 2900 series coaches to the Railroad Museum. These coaches, numbers 2935 & 2956, were built by Pullman Standard in 1955 and 1956, respectively, and were classified as P72. As built, they were steam-heated and used batteries for lighting, but were rebuilt in the early 1970s with under-car diesel generator sets to provide power for lighting, heating, and air conditioning. #2956 seats 123 people and #2935 seats 118, but provides a toilet.
The coaches currently wear the last paint scheme the LIRR used for these cars, but originally wore charcoal grey sides and ends and a dark green roof. They will be returned to these colors when they are restored.
Although they entered service the year #35 was retired, the history of these cars will always be linked with Locomotive #35. At the end of the steam ceremony held on October 8, 1955, two steam locomotives each pulled a single 2900 series coach (#35 from the West and #39 from the East) to Hicksville, where a new diesel locomotive took over for the return trip.
Class: PS-1 Freight Boxcar
This 40’ boxcar was made for the New York, New Haven & Hartford (NYNH&H) railroad, better known as the New Haven, by the Pullman-Standard Corporation in 1944. It was part of an order of 2000 cars numbered 31000-32999. As the LIRR had an interchange with the New Haven, cars of this type would often have been found on LIRR freight trains.
The car wound up being used by the LIRR’s shop forces for storage at their Morris Park facility for many years, renumbered as LIRR SHOP 100. Now donated to the Railroad Museum, we will use it in a similar fashion in Oyster Bay, where it will serve as a shop/storage area, as well as an historic example of mid-century freight railroading. Although it looks a bit rough, the car is actually in fairly good condition and will be restored to its original New Haven livery.
Class: M-1 Simulator
The one-quarter length model of an MU was used to simulate operating rail conditions for training and certifying Long Island Rail Road engineers.
This unit was acquired by the LIRR in 1995 and saw usage up until a few years ago, when the carrier began using the current Model M-7 cars, phasing out all M-1 equipment.
NOTE: The M-1 simulator employs the same exterior appearance and interior components as an actual M-1 MU passenger car. These cars were delivered to the LIRR beginning in 1969 and were the mainstay of the electrified fleet until retired in the early 2000s.