"Heavy Metal Objects" - The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum has worked long and hard to obtain, restore, and preserve historical pieces of rolling stock that have played an important role in the development of, not only Long Island, but the country as a whole. The OBRM Collection represents an enormous investment of "sweat equity", and money.
You can assist in this endeavor by becoming a Member, and by contributing to the Museum's efforts to ensure that these rolling artifacts will be preserved and protected for future generations of rail and history enthusisasts.
|35||Locomotive||4-6-0 Class: G5s - Builder: Pennsylvania Railroad, Juniata, PA||1928|
|2||Caboose||Class: N5 - Builder: Pennsylvania Railroad||?|
|12||Caboose||Class: N52 (Wood Body) - Builder: American Car & Foundry||1927|
|50||Caboose||Class: N22 - Builder: International Railway Car Company||1934|
|0402||Cab Unit||Class: FA-1 - Builder: American Locomotive Company||1947|
|7433||Passenger||Class: P54 Coach - Builder: American Car & Foundry||1923|
|397||Switcher||Class: GS-1 - Builder: General Electric||1958|
|398||Switcher||Class: GS-1 - Builder: General Electric||1958|
|738||Passenger||Class: BM60 Baggage/Mail - Builder: American Car & Foundry||1928|
|2935||Passenger||Class: P72 Coach - Builder: Pullman-Standard||1955|
|2956||Passenger||Class: P72 Coach - Builder: Pullman-Standard||1956|
|32006||Freight||Class: Boxcar - Builder: Pullman-Standard||1944|
|M-1 MU||Training||Class: M-1 MU Electric Cab Simulator||1995|
Locomotive 35 was built in 1928 by the Pennsylvania Railroad's Juniata Shops. A G5s class ten wheeler (4-6-0), it has 68" driving wheels and 205 pounds of boiler pressure.
Designed to haul commuters, these relatively small driving wheels let the locomotive accelerate quickly between the closely spaced stations found in this type of service. Read more about this interesting piece of Long Island Railroad history HERE
Number 35 was one of the last steam locomotives in service on the LIRR and even participated in the end of steam ceremony as well as being the last LIRR steam engine to haul an excursion in 1955.
A Pennsylvania Railroad built class N5 number 2, this is what comes to mind when you think of a caboose, with an (almost) centrally mounted cupola. The history of this car is not clear, except for the fact that is was bought second hand from the PRR. We are searching for its identity so we can determine its age and former PRR number.
This car is in rough shape with much rusting having taken place over the years. All of its side windows have been plated over, as had the interior of the cupola. The worst part is that it suffers from serious rot. Much sheet metal work will have to be done to replace rusted out sections, and the metal of the frame is quite thin. The current plan is to restore this car cosmetically, as a lot of work will have to be done to make it road worthy again. Externally, the car has been painted and lettered and looks much better than it has in years.
In the early 1920's the LIRR ordered a fleet of wood bodied, steel framed cabin cars to bring up the rear of its freight trains. Built by American Car & Foundry, these cars served well for many years. Most were not retired until the late 1950's. At that point, a few were sold to private individuals and moved off of Long Island.
One of these cars, #12 built in 1927 for a cost of $17,880, found its way to the Shore Line Trolley Museum in Connecticut where it was used for sleeping quarters by their volunteers. With alternate sleeping accommodations available in the area, the trolley museum had little need for a caboose in their collection. They had offered to sell the car to us so we could return it to Long Island where its historic significance would be realized.
The trolley museum was serious about wanting to return #12 to its proper home, and even turned down offers from groups wanting to use it for other purposes.
At the same time, they could not afford to give the car away, so we started a fund raising campaign to purchase and transport it home. On June 26, 2002 after years of fundraising and hard work by our volunteers, #12 returned home to Long Island.
Caboose number 50 is an N22 class built by International Railway Car Co. in 1958. It is not your typical cabin car, because it has neither a cupola or a bay window. In fact, it looks more like a short boxcar with end platforms and windows.
C-50 has been fully restored to its as-delivered paint scheme of orange and black.
The interior has been beautifully restored and painted and a new oak floor has been installed and finished.
The cab unit came from a former New Haven Railroad FA-1 diesel locomotive numbered 0402, built by the American Locomotive Company in 1947. In 1963, the New Haven traded in 0402 to Alco for the purchase of newer locomotives.
Alco cut off the head end of the locomotive and sold the cab unit to the LIRR for display at the '64 World's Fair. The public was allowed to climb up into the cab and have their photos taken while looking out the engineer's window.
After the fair closed, the LIRR sold the cab unit to the Tanglewood Day Camp in Lynbrook, NY. The unit was part of a children's playground. When the camp closed in 1988 the unit was made available to the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum.
To the average commuter on the LIRR during the middle of the twentieth century, there is probably nothing that symbolized their hours spent riding the rails more than the inside of a Ping Pong coach.
The P-54 class coach operated on the LIRR from 1923 to 1974. The nickname "Ping Pong" was given to them due the rougher ride they provided, when compared to the heavier wooden coaches they replaced.
This car, #7433, was rescued from the scrap yard thanks to the hard work of the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum leadership and the generosity of Island Rail, LLC, a corporate sponsor of the project. To the best of our knowledge, #7433 is the last of its kind to be preserved with original seating and equipment.
The GE GS1 class, 1958 "dinky" switching engine #397 - "Dashing Dan"
The GE GS1 class, 1958 "dinky" switching engine #398 - "Dashing Dottie"
Built in 1928 as Class BM-60 Baggage-Mail Car by American Car and Foundry (ACF) as LIRR #738.
Converted to Class B-60 Baggage Car (prior to April 1963). Modernized during the rebuilding program and renumbered #7738. It was car #468 in the re-modernization series...(#468 is NOT the car number) Renumbered as #W-74 as listed in the equipment tabulation for January 1, 1976. ("W" denotes Work Equipment). The car made it's last official "run" during the mid 1970's as part of trains #204 & #211. (Greenport / Main Line Round Trip)Information on this car courtesy of Grover White.
The Long Island Rail Road donated two of their recently retired 2900 series coaches to us. These coaches, numbers 2935 & 2956 were built by Pullman Standard in 1955 and 1956 respectively and were classified as P72. As built, they were steam heated and used batteries for lighting but were rebuilt in the early 1970's with under car diesel generator sets to provide power for lighting, heating and air conditioning. 2956 seats 123 people and 2935 seats 118 but provides a toilet.
They currently wear the last paint scheme the LIRR used for these cars, but originally wore charcoal grey sides and ends and a dark green roof. They will be returned to these colors when they are restored.
Even though they entered service the year #35 was retired, the history of these cars will always be linked with our locomotive. At the end of steam ceremony held on October 8, 1955, two steam locomotives each pulled a single 2900 series coach (#35 from the West and #39 from the East) to Hicksville where a new diesel locomotive took over for the return trip.
This 40' boxcar was made for the New York, New Have & Hartford (NYNH&H) railroad, better know as the New Haven, by the Pullman-Standard corporation in 1944. It was part of an order of 2000 cars numbered 31000-32999. As the LIRR had an interchange with the New Haven, cars of this type would often have been found on LIRR freight trains.
The car wound up being used bythe LIRR's shop forces for storage at their Morris Park facility for many years, renumbered as LIRR SHOP 100. Now donated to us, we will use it in a similar fashion in Oyster Bay where it will serve as a shop/storage area as well an historic example of mid-century freight railroading. Although it looks a bit rough, the car is actually in fairly good condition and will be restored to its original New Haven livery.
The one-quarter length model of an MU was used to simulate operating rail conditions for training and certifying Long Island Rail Road engineers.
The M-1 was acquired by the LIRR in 1995 and saw usage up until a few years ago, when the carrier began using the current Model M-7 cars, and phased out all M-1 equipment.
The Model M-1 weighs approximately 5,000 lbs. It is 10'8" wide, 11'6" high and 12'3" long.